Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pride

Everyone wears Mines shirts around here.

That is to be expected, I suppose. What I don't get is why we wear them around campus and then wear our Pacific Beach shirts when we go off campus. I mean, the kids at Mines obviously know you're going to Mines. Why else would you be there with a bunch of science books in your backpack? Do we really need a t-shirt to tell them? Say I'm walking to class. I see a kid with a Mines shirt or hoodie. "Hey, cool story, bro!" "Yeah, true story, man!" "Naw, really? Me too!" (looks down at own Mines shirt). We've learned a lot about each other today.

Being college students, we would love to wear our Mines shirts in public places, but of course we forgot to do laundry this week (now this is a true story). Mines is a thing to be proud of. And we should- we've earned that right. The least we could do to relieve our suffering from homework is go out to the world and say, "Aw, yeah. I go to Mines." And not in a "I think I'm better than you because I go to Mines" way, but in a "I know I'm better than you because I go to Mines" way. So take that! (Well...not really. But yes.) Personally, I guess I have a lot of pride. It comes with the bill for Maple Hall (I kid, I kid!). No but really. I try to take pride in the things I do. But not too much.

I need a Mines hoodie. But that's irrelevant.

Sigh...my class gets our Calc I tests back tomorrow. I'm scared. Not only did I think it was bad, but so did everyone else and their roommate too. The average was in the high 60's. I'm scared.

Last week was hard. Calc almost made me want to cry. I finally hit the point where I had to do something. I went to tutoring and stuff. Maybe it helped. I don't know. But it's harder than you think...
You have to make time. You have to show up. You have to do the work. And you have to get rid of your pride. A few times I've cracked and told some kids who had taken Calc before, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. It's a horrible feeling to be lost, especially when it comes to math. But admitting it and getting help makes it a little better. I've aced a worksheet because of the people I know, and would've gotten a lesser score if I had not waved the white flag.

The flag is kind of heavy and hard to raise sometimes, though.

I'm gonna get my test back Wednesday, and then move on with my life. Can't do anything about it. [Insert cliche here.] Then I'm gonna thank God we're done with Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is already looking better...